Skip to main content

My Birthday! uncelebrated

Happy Birthday to me,
Happy Birthday to me,

Ok so it may sound a bit weird but I decided that I wanted to see what it was like to not celebrate my birthday and just treat it like a normal day. Cause I mean how many chances do I get to do that.

(it may seem like a jumped ahead in time a bunch, its just because I'm a little bit behind on my posts :/ )

So I spend the past 2 days with a group of 6 other super great people on Koh Rong, an island off the coast of Sihanoukville Cambodia. We has just taken a death defying journey (which you will find out about in a couple posts) and had checked into our rooms and were having dinner. I let it slip that it was my birthday the next day during conversation and then tried to cover it up because I knew being the great people they are that they would try and celebrate it. They all wished my happy birthday anyway because I was going to get a bus to go to Thailand the next day. I left my stuff to go get my bus ticket from down the road and the guy told my that I could just come back in the morning and buy it. 
So I went back and sat down at the table and joined in a conversation. A little while later the guy who owned the restaurant brought out a dessert and placed it in front of me and they all sang happy birthday. I blew out the lighter that was light next to the bowl and then ate a very delicious chocolate mousse.
Afterwords we walked down to the beach where my friends bought me my first legal drink seeing as it was after midnight I was pretty much 19.

I thought that was a great way to celebrate not celebrating my birthday and I went to bed happy.

Waking up early the next morning to go get my bus ticket I quietly dragged my stuff outside and packed on the front porch as to not wake the others sleeping in my room. Then I checked out  and walked to the ticket counter to get my ticket. The travel agent then informed me that all the buses going to the border were full. So I bought one for the next mornings bus which was almost full, checked back into the room, and then went and got some breakfast. 

Since I had already done pretty much everything there was to do in the down I decided to just hangout for the day. My friends had moved to a place on the other beach around the corner of the coast so I was all alone like a planned for my birthday. 

It may come as a big surprise but it turns out that the date that you were born in is pretty much the same as any other day.

I had been looking for an iPod since mine broke on the way to the airport to fly out on Vancouver so I bought an iPod classic and with the help of my mom named him "Darth". 

I went out for a regular dinner and ended up having a really amazing vegetable curry that was served in a coconut and spent the night reading my book.

Happy Birthday dear Hayden,
Happy Birthday to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chiang Mai to Huay Xai

I've decided that I'm done with Thailand for now. From the hostel we signed up for a mini van to take us to Chiang Kong, the border town for Laos, and see what we could get up to there. We lucked out on the van and got the seats right at the front so we got a whole bunch of leg room. So it was Nisha, Selena, & I and then the rest of the van was filled with 8 other guys from the UK and the driver. This was one of the best road travel trips I have had so far. The driver let one of the guys plug in his ipod so we were listening to more western tunes and we had the most random conversations the whole time. Along the way the first rest stop we went to was part of a cashew nut factory. I was really surprised how big the fruit was and how small the nut you got was. Inside there was a huge room with samples of all different flavours of cashew nuts and of course i tried them all and didnt buy anything. The next stop we made was at the white temple. More in the next blog post.

Huay Xai -Laos

Huay Xai is the small town just on the other side of the Mekong from Thailand. Only 1 street of shops and 2 ports. Many homes along the water when you walk way to the right but we didnt head too far that direction. Like I said just a small tourist town where you catch your mode of transportation to the next place in Laos. All the shops sold pretty much exactly the same things. Snacks and sandwiches. Everywhere you went they were offering to sell you sandwiches for the slow boat or the bus the next day. And they all had pretty much the same 10 to choose from. We chose one that a couple owned just as you come up from the border crossing. They had about 6 different signs saying "We have sandwiches for slow boat" and "we have sandwiches for Gibbon experience". All sorts of other clever ones as well. Plus they were really nice and funny. Another thing all the shops sold was whiskey. They have lots of whiskey in Laos, special whiskey with snakes and scorpions inside the

Pai - Updated with pictures

I like Pai. (pronounced "bpai", say the b and the p together) Its a quiet little town, not very big, which is good cause I seem to get lost here a lot. It's a really interesting dynamic here. Everyone is super chill. all the locals just mozy around or hangout at their shops. There are lots of westerners (hippies) that seem to have just moved here. And then there are the tourists. Only the good ones though, none of the people who are just in Thailand to party (everyone in Bangkok). About every other store/stand that you see here is a T-shirt shop. They all have various shirts saying things like "Love is Pai" and "762 turns to Pai". Basically everything here celebrates that you made it to and are in Pai. All the restaurants and guesthouses have "Pai" in their name. "Pai Country" "Pai Love" "Pai Cabana". its really fun and everyone here jokes around. There's all the cheap hostels in the city but then in