Skip to main content

Siem reap (possible worst post ever?)

So just as I'm going to type up this post I realize that I didnt really take any pictures at all of the city!
I spent a week there cause everything was super cheap and i needed to save some money after all the trekking and stuff in Sen Monorom. So I will do my best to describe what I didnt take pictures of and then fill space by tell you of my next posts :)

There is one main touristy part in the big city of Siem Reap. Most of the hotels and guest houses are all centred around "Pub Street" which is a main street of pubs and restaurants surrounded by alley's full of other restaurants and massage places.

Here is a picture of one of probably the 6 nights markets that they have around Pub Street

Here is my dorm bed that cost $1 a night. on a balcony above the kitchen and just a thin mattress with a mosquito net but I guess what you pay for. 


I also hung around Siem Reap so long because I wanted to be some where cool for Christmas. So we ended up having a buffet dinner at the hostel with a all tinsel christmas tree.

Then he head over to pub street to the famous "Angkor What" bar and went to a couple other places before calling it a night

on the way back me and my friend (yellow glasses) heard "Good feeling - flo rida" playing from the roof top bar and couldnt resist so we sprinted up 8 flights of stairs and danced for about another hour because they were playing really good music.
They also had a really good bubble machine which made it seem like it was snowing.
a really magical moment which I missed capturing because my camera was in my friends bag :/
for some reason we were the only ones on the dance floor along with one other girl from New Zealand.
We successfully managed to get one eastern European guy who was sitting by himself to come awkwardly sway with us while we danced and had a really great night.

Other things I did in Siem Reap you will hear about in the posts to come!

Cooking Course

Visited a silk farm

and good ol' Angkor Wat


Comments

  1. not a bad post, I rather enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i enjoyed it and Siam Reap is ace! would go back there tomorrow! Hailey xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just though the post was no good cause i missed so many good photo opportunities

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chiang Mai to Huay Xai

I've decided that I'm done with Thailand for now. From the hostel we signed up for a mini van to take us to Chiang Kong, the border town for Laos, and see what we could get up to there. We lucked out on the van and got the seats right at the front so we got a whole bunch of leg room. So it was Nisha, Selena, & I and then the rest of the van was filled with 8 other guys from the UK and the driver. This was one of the best road travel trips I have had so far. The driver let one of the guys plug in his ipod so we were listening to more western tunes and we had the most random conversations the whole time. Along the way the first rest stop we went to was part of a cashew nut factory. I was really surprised how big the fruit was and how small the nut you got was. Inside there was a huge room with samples of all different flavours of cashew nuts and of course i tried them all and didnt buy anything. The next stop we made was at the white temple. More in the next blog post.

Huay Xai -Laos

Huay Xai is the small town just on the other side of the Mekong from Thailand. Only 1 street of shops and 2 ports. Many homes along the water when you walk way to the right but we didnt head too far that direction. Like I said just a small tourist town where you catch your mode of transportation to the next place in Laos. All the shops sold pretty much exactly the same things. Snacks and sandwiches. Everywhere you went they were offering to sell you sandwiches for the slow boat or the bus the next day. And they all had pretty much the same 10 to choose from. We chose one that a couple owned just as you come up from the border crossing. They had about 6 different signs saying "We have sandwiches for slow boat" and "we have sandwiches for Gibbon experience". All sorts of other clever ones as well. Plus they were really nice and funny. Another thing all the shops sold was whiskey. They have lots of whiskey in Laos, special whiskey with snakes and scorpions inside the

Pai - Updated with pictures

I like Pai. (pronounced "bpai", say the b and the p together) Its a quiet little town, not very big, which is good cause I seem to get lost here a lot. It's a really interesting dynamic here. Everyone is super chill. all the locals just mozy around or hangout at their shops. There are lots of westerners (hippies) that seem to have just moved here. And then there are the tourists. Only the good ones though, none of the people who are just in Thailand to party (everyone in Bangkok). About every other store/stand that you see here is a T-shirt shop. They all have various shirts saying things like "Love is Pai" and "762 turns to Pai". Basically everything here celebrates that you made it to and are in Pai. All the restaurants and guesthouses have "Pai" in their name. "Pai Country" "Pai Love" "Pai Cabana". its really fun and everyone here jokes around. There's all the cheap hostels in the city but then in