Skip to main content

Kampong Cham

I decided that my next stop after Phnom Penh would be Kampong Cham, A city about 6 hours away. Cant remember why I decided to stop there but I ended up spending two nights at the Mekong Hotel right along the riverside. Most of the city is by the riverside actually because its not that big.
From Phnom Penh there seemed like there was a bunch of things to do in and around the city but I got done all that I wanted to do in less than a day.

I rented a motor bike from a cafe down the street and the lady there taught me how to ride a manual one. Every other one that I had ridden before had been automatic but it turned out to be not that much harder.

First I went to Wat Nokor which was an Angkor like temple about 8 km outside of town. Not sure how much I was expecting but I wasn't to impressed. There aren't very many tourist in the town to begin with but the place was dead. I was the only one there so I walked around, snapped a couple pictures and got back on my bike and left. 
Next I went to Phnom Pros and Phnom Sre (Man and Woman Hill) which the way that the guide book described it was two hills with old temples on top that face each other. Once I got there I discovered that there was new-ish looking concrete buildings on both and wasn't really anything impressive. There were a bunch of monkeys running around and a bunch of lady's selling bananas to feed them. 

Back on the bike for me.


The next stop was the Bamboo Bridge.
Every year during the dry season the build a bridge out of bamboo to cross over the river to an island. During the wet season when the water rises there is a ferry to take you across.The bridge wasn't finished being built yet so I decided to take the ferry over to the car-less island.  I went down to the docks where there was two other people waiting for it also.

After waiting for about 45 min and their being no boat I decided to go get some lunch. The lady at the cafe told me that there wouldnt be a boat for a little bit because they take a long lunch break. Losing interest in the island I got on my bike and headed for Phnom Hanchey. Phnom Hanchey is another hilltop temple that is about 30 km outside of town. It was a really nice drive along the river to get there. All along the way there were busy houses with families going about their daily routines and kids running around. 
The first thing that I saw when I got to the temple was her there were a bunch of giant fruit statues that said the names of all the fruit and what they looked like on the inside. I found this very useful because most of the time the people selling the fruit couldnt tell you the English name of the fruit so I never knew what it was. Here is a picture of my current fruit addiction. Rambutan. Its soft red spikey exterior contains kind of a lychee fruit inside. Most places it will cost you about $1 a kilogram. 

There were lots of statues all over the hill and it looked like a place that they might host events of some sorts because there was lots of open space. I saw a couple taking some wedding photos so maybe they hold those there as well.



There were many sayings on signs posted to the trees around the hill.


View of the river from the hill.


 There were many other religious buildings and statues on top of the hill but I didn't have a guide so I don't really know much about them.





 After walking around the hill for a bit I decided to head back. On the way to my motorbike I saw a tourist police man checking it out. He came over and told me that I needed to buy a ticket to see all the things that I had seen already that day. Not sure if that is a fee for all tourists because it seems pretty informal. But it only cost me $2 so I decided it would be easier than trying to negotiate with him.

Finishing off here is a picture of a driving school that I found. I thought this was pretty funny because of the way that people drive i never expected that there would be driving schools in Cambodia.

 
Remember to comment and pass on!
More pictures in the Kampong Cham album on the left.

Comments

  1. $2 to policeman for previously viewed sights.... He did well that day! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chiang Mai to Huay Xai

I've decided that I'm done with Thailand for now. From the hostel we signed up for a mini van to take us to Chiang Kong, the border town for Laos, and see what we could get up to there. We lucked out on the van and got the seats right at the front so we got a whole bunch of leg room. So it was Nisha, Selena, & I and then the rest of the van was filled with 8 other guys from the UK and the driver. This was one of the best road travel trips I have had so far. The driver let one of the guys plug in his ipod so we were listening to more western tunes and we had the most random conversations the whole time. Along the way the first rest stop we went to was part of a cashew nut factory. I was really surprised how big the fruit was and how small the nut you got was. Inside there was a huge room with samples of all different flavours of cashew nuts and of course i tried them all and didnt buy anything. The next stop we made was at the white temple. More in the next blog post.

Huay Xai -Laos

Huay Xai is the small town just on the other side of the Mekong from Thailand. Only 1 street of shops and 2 ports. Many homes along the water when you walk way to the right but we didnt head too far that direction. Like I said just a small tourist town where you catch your mode of transportation to the next place in Laos. All the shops sold pretty much exactly the same things. Snacks and sandwiches. Everywhere you went they were offering to sell you sandwiches for the slow boat or the bus the next day. And they all had pretty much the same 10 to choose from. We chose one that a couple owned just as you come up from the border crossing. They had about 6 different signs saying "We have sandwiches for slow boat" and "we have sandwiches for Gibbon experience". All sorts of other clever ones as well. Plus they were really nice and funny. Another thing all the shops sold was whiskey. They have lots of whiskey in Laos, special whiskey with snakes and scorpions inside the

Bali - Ubud and Kuta

Bali is beautiful I wish that we could have spent more time there but we ended up getting stuck on gili. To make up we spent 3 nights in a place called Ubud and did a day tour where we saw soooo much. We saw a traditional Balinese dancing. it was really cool cause there was no instruments. The men who were seated all around chanted and made a whole bunch of different sounds it sounded like there was music coming from all around you. They also made the setting by changing how they were sitting and moving around. at one point they turned into a snake that was transformed from an arrow that was shot by the evil king. afterword there was a man who was dressed as a horse danced around on burning coconut husks. i didnt really understand the reasoning but it was impressive all the same. We went to a bunch of different temples which were all very intricate. Harvested some rice with some old ladies who tried to charge me for it after. The scaffoldin