Skip to main content

Saigon

So it seemed like my whole Vietnam journey was leading up to Saigon which was supposed to be crazy and different from everything else everywhere. I was only there 1 night and I kinda actually enjoyed it.
The thing that I had heard most was that the traffic there would be super crazy. When I arrived I discovered that there was a lot of motorbikes and some cars but it wasnt that crazy. The hundreds of thousands of people seemed to know exactly what they were doing all the time. The traffic just flowed like water through the streets and I didnt feel flustered at all. Compared to other places in South East Asia where everyone seems to be dodging and weaving between everyone else Saigon was quite relaxing. Well to me at least. The streets were laid out nicely for the most part. So I was able to walk around and figure out where I was all the time.
In the early morning and just as the sun goes down people of all ages gather to exercise at the park that was across the street from the hotel that I was staying in. They were doing the usual exercises ive seen in places like Vientiane like running, dancing, badminton, and aerobics. but they also had some new interesting ones like wrapping them selves around trees and railings and waiving their body around. Pretty interesting to watch.

Another interesting thing I noticed was that they seemed to have all of the trees in the parks numbered, I guess to keep track if one decides to run away?


Among my wanderings I came across a full size pool with super sketchy diving boards and tower.


Lots of fruit stands with everything stacked very precisely and neatly.


Some planes from the war museum that I visited.


Just walking though the middle of the street.


I probably missed a whole bunch of stuff in the city because I only stayed there for 1 night but I was pretty much Vietnam'd out by that time so I didnt mind.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chiang Mai to Huay Xai

I've decided that I'm done with Thailand for now. From the hostel we signed up for a mini van to take us to Chiang Kong, the border town for Laos, and see what we could get up to there. We lucked out on the van and got the seats right at the front so we got a whole bunch of leg room. So it was Nisha, Selena, & I and then the rest of the van was filled with 8 other guys from the UK and the driver. This was one of the best road travel trips I have had so far. The driver let one of the guys plug in his ipod so we were listening to more western tunes and we had the most random conversations the whole time. Along the way the first rest stop we went to was part of a cashew nut factory. I was really surprised how big the fruit was and how small the nut you got was. Inside there was a huge room with samples of all different flavours of cashew nuts and of course i tried them all and didnt buy anything. The next stop we made was at the white temple. More in the next blog post.

Huay Xai -Laos

Huay Xai is the small town just on the other side of the Mekong from Thailand. Only 1 street of shops and 2 ports. Many homes along the water when you walk way to the right but we didnt head too far that direction. Like I said just a small tourist town where you catch your mode of transportation to the next place in Laos. All the shops sold pretty much exactly the same things. Snacks and sandwiches. Everywhere you went they were offering to sell you sandwiches for the slow boat or the bus the next day. And they all had pretty much the same 10 to choose from. We chose one that a couple owned just as you come up from the border crossing. They had about 6 different signs saying "We have sandwiches for slow boat" and "we have sandwiches for Gibbon experience". All sorts of other clever ones as well. Plus they were really nice and funny. Another thing all the shops sold was whiskey. They have lots of whiskey in Laos, special whiskey with snakes and scorpions inside the

Bali - Ubud and Kuta

Bali is beautiful I wish that we could have spent more time there but we ended up getting stuck on gili. To make up we spent 3 nights in a place called Ubud and did a day tour where we saw soooo much. We saw a traditional Balinese dancing. it was really cool cause there was no instruments. The men who were seated all around chanted and made a whole bunch of different sounds it sounded like there was music coming from all around you. They also made the setting by changing how they were sitting and moving around. at one point they turned into a snake that was transformed from an arrow that was shot by the evil king. afterword there was a man who was dressed as a horse danced around on burning coconut husks. i didnt really understand the reasoning but it was impressive all the same. We went to a bunch of different temples which were all very intricate. Harvested some rice with some old ladies who tried to charge me for it after. The scaffoldin